Additives are mainly used by manufacturers to reduce the cost of concrete construction, modification of solid concrete properties. These are used to ensure the quality of concrete during mixing, transportation, placement, curing, and are used to succeed in dealing with certain emergencies during specific operations.
- Mineral additives: – such as GGBS (crushed explosive granular slag), PFA (crushed fly ash), RHA (rice husk ash) are used in concrete to make concrete durable. GGBS and PFA are used against sulfate attack on concrete by reaction with calcium hydroxide formed in hydrating calcium silicate and calcium silicate and increases concrete life as long as the reinforcement.
- To reduce the water temperature: – cement hydration (the reaction of cement with water) is an exothermic process. By replacing the cement with mineral additives, the heat of the water can be reduced because it reacts much slower than any other cement particle and emits less heat.
- To make concrete inexpensive: – It’s much cheaper than cement, and since cement is the most expensive component, replacing cement makes concrete cheaper.
- To make concrete environmentally friendly: – When processing cement, a large amount of oxygen is consumed during calculations. Otherwise, all mineral additives are industrial waste or by-products. It’s hard to break it down but it is used in concrete and concrete uses waste and provides an ecosystem.
- To increase the lateral resistance of concrete: – The OPC center gained its 99% resistance in 28 days. Another important mineral auxiliary materials control over the time of fixing concrete.
- To reduce doses of the adjuvant chemical.
- Workability: – Chemical additives are most commonly used for the purpose of a good slump or flow of concrete. These chemical additives increase the flow of concrete by reducing the demand for water. For a given settlement, the ratio of the amount of water required with and without the auxiliaries is called the water reducing factor.
- Acceleration settings: – Certain accelerator additives are used to reduce setting time. In general, in wet formwork, VDF floor coverings from this type of additive are used immediately before concreting. Concrete generally takes 15 to 30 minutes to set after adding the accelerator.
- Strength improvement: – As the mixture reduces water demand, designs are made with a low ratio of water to cement which increases the strength of concrete. There are also special auxiliaries that are added ingredients to increase resistance.
So now you know why concrete additives are important and what their functions are. Basic knowledge about concrete additives Malaysia is compulsory for better use.